Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Colouring my world

When we first moved into our new place, Don said we should wait till we lived here for a few months before we think about painting. Just so we're sure. Well now it's January, and we've started our painting binge. Actually I'm the one doing all the painting. But Don's the one doing all the Antonio diversions, so I guess we're doing our equal share. Me doing the stuff that takes creative skill, and Don doing the stuff that requires patience. Works for me.

So far we've done Antonio's room (crazy bright glaring Kermit-the-frog green), the living room (4 walls alternating dark blue and dark green), and tonight I started the kitchen cabinets. It was Don's idea to do the cabinets, I was just thinking the wall, but he had something aversive to off-white so whatever. So I find out in the store that you're supposed to use melamine paint for cabinets...ok, whatever. Guess I should have read the can before going home, but apparently melamine-based paint requires paint thinner for clean-up. And of course this never occurred to me until I'd already finished the first coat on all seventeen cupboards, laid out all over the living room floor on top of Sears flyers and our old Ikea shower curtain. It could have been worse...luckily I didn't make much of a mess (two rooms painted this month...I'm in practice now!) but I did have a crazy time trying to get the red off my hands (I ended up using body butter followed by apricot scrub). Also I'll be picking up a new set of foam brushes with my paint thinner tomorrow. Hope it comes off the laundry sink.

I saw those new Doodling Genies in Scrapbooking cafe. Lots of people are excited about those, but that's something I'd never buy. I like my own doodling just as it is. It's like that time I almost bought that Heidi Swapp date stamp, with all the dates in her handwriting...then I thought about it some more...and what's wrong with my own handwriting? I think this is why I don't get scrapbooking stuff for Christmas...I'm more a hoarder of the small stuff, not really into tools and gadgets. Recently the Cricut went on sale at Michaels and everyone seems to be flocking to get one. If I were to ever buy one of those cutting machines, I think I'd go with a Wishblade or Craft Robo or whatever I don't need to buy extra equipment for. But given the opportunity...I'd really rather have $500 worth of patterned paper and a good pair of nail scissors.

I was also browsing through some "dream scrap rooms" this morning. Some of them were pretty amazing. It would be a dream to even have my own scrap room. If I did...I would only have one table, and it would be really low, Korean-style or something. I'm a floor scrapper. My stool serves more time as a sanding/cutting surface than it does as a seat. Anyway I don't think I have any new LO's to post but check out the Scrapbooking Cafe link to see my DT projects!

1 comment:

MaraMay said...

WOW Kim you've been busy girl! Now we'll be expecting fotos of all the freshly painted rooms you know?! LOL
And if you ever get a scraproom I think your table idea would look sooo awesome!