Monday, November 15, 2010

Attitude and Gratitude

It's been a while. My apologies for my flaky online presence...once I get momentum with something, that tends to be all I do for the next little while, whether it be a streak of scrapbook pages, Sculpey figures with my boy, or renovating all the closets. I'm sure some of you know the feeling!

I noticed something yesterday that I wanted to mention while it was still with me. After talking with people in the last couple days it's really become clear that you reap what you sow with your attitude. Cynical people will tell you not to trust this person or that, or not to go out of your way for anyone because you will never be appreciated and any extra efforts will become expectations. The thing is, that has not been my experience. Gratitude is important to me and I do my best to always show it, for things large and small. In return I have also been aware of it when it is directed to me, in word or in action, even in situations where cynics have told me I would not find it.

I don't stir things up. Sure, my aversion to competition and confrontation is perhaps extreme in many ways and admittedly has caused me anxiety in certain situations, but it also makes for a more positive world around me, one with more trust and less tension. It basically creates a world where I don't have to use things I'm not good at, like assertiveness, as often.

You can't change everything, but you can control your attitude, and that's often enough to effect change. So keep it positive.

Thanks for listening. I hope to try something new on my blog this year as Christmas gets closer (I wrote it in my daytimer so the chances of me getting it done are better!) I love Christmas pages...my favourite album to look through is my all-Christmas album. So I would like to feature it here, one page per day, starting November 21st. Come see it, if you like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sabina and I have been talking about that lately too... we both find that motherhood has changed us in a way that we're discreetly shunning any sort of negativity that may surround us. There's something about the postpartum time that makes you realize that hormones, tiredness and a feeling of overwhelming joy/nervousness can really wreak havoc on how you are impacted by negativity. So we've both (in our own personal lives) have been embracing more positive people and situations. It really makes a difference in our own outlook!
I commend you for speaking out against cynicism in such a straightforward, yet delicate and positive way! <3