Monday, August 21, 2006

I start early.

Just like the stores do. It's quite standard for me to be planning out Halloween costumes in August. What can I say? I like to make my own, and that takes TIME. Especially when your son comes up with the strangest costume ideas. Last year was the first year we let him choose his own costume. He said he wanted to be a cat...a green cat. And it wasn't just a one-time deal. Every time we asked him, he was adamant about the green cat. So that's what he was. This year he says he wants to be a double-decker bus...NOW do you see why I like to start early??? I have no clue how I'm gonna pull this one off...well, making it's the easy part. Making it something he can WALK in...that's another story.

And yes, I dress up too. Since I started trick-or-treating, there have only been 2 Halloweens I didn't dress up for, both to my disappointment. Sometimes for work, sometimes for school, sometimes for taking kids around, wheher my own or someone else's...I love to dress up! I've been everything from Princess Jasmine to Axl Rose to that girl from Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...that one was when I was 7. I was the only girl in my entire Brownie troop that no one could guess what my costume was. As a rule I don't normally like to do the same costume twice in a row...but last year during my Fabricland days I managed to recreate my favourite dress from the Lord Of The Rings movies as a sort of sewing project...complete with cape and hood...and I would so love to wear it again. Plus it'll give me more time to work out a double-decker bus!!!

Having said that, I don't totally understand why STORES need to start as early as they do. If you're buying your costume premade, why do you need it 2 months in advance? Or candy and decorations for that matter? Unless you're one of those people who re-does their whole house for Halloween. Where do you people live? I wanna trick-or-treat at your place!!!

1 comment:

MaraMay said...

Kim you are so nifty with your sewing machine! I loved seeing your pictures last year! Kinda bummed your thinking of reusing the same costume (it is awesome though) I was looking foward to seeing another amazing costume. ;)
Yeah and I don;t get the whole selling costumes and deco soooo dang early. Nobody ever buys till the last minute anyways! LOL Some people around here do deck out their homes pretty wild for Halloween. Maybe you should come trick or treat over here this year. ;)