Thursday, June 17, 2010

LSS...how do I miss thee?

Made this page lastnight for Mission 0019 at Mission To Create.


Some of the concepts were a longshot for me...especially the embossed paper, since I have none. So instead I tried an improvised attempt at "faux embossing", which also happens to be a challenge at Skrap N' Chat this month. It's easier to show than explain.


If this were 3 years ago, I could have just ran out and picked up all the stuff for the challenge with no need to improvise. I really miss the LSS. All 5 I used to shop at have gone under, and the last one I heard of is way on the other end of town and has inconvenient store hours. If you'd driven more than 30 minutes out of your way to find a scrapbook store boarded up as many times as I have, you'd understand why I can't get motivated to make the trip to this alleged LSS.

Yes, there are oodles of online shops that boast fabulous deals, which I'm sure are awesome for most. It's just not for me. First of all, I'm a sensory shopper. I don't get inspired by looking at packages of paper on a computer screen, in fact some of the exact paper collections I've been indifferent to when posted online, I've gone crazy over in the store. I have no idea what I want until I see it in real life, let alone how well the colours will really work with my photos. Second of all, inspiration comes suddenly for me. I need instant pictures and instant supplies--waiting for postal delivery just won't do. Third of all, nice scrapbook supplies are not cheap. No matter what the deal, I can't justify paying even more on top for shipping.

Yet would having a local scrapbooking store make me a better scrapper? Some of my best pages came from 2005-2006 when I didn't have the considerable scrap stash I have today, when I didn't spend 30 minutes deciding what alphas to use, but how to make pretty letters out of origami paper and poster paint. So while I do miss eyeballing pretty papers and lovely letters, learning to make do with what you have is much better for the creativity (and the credit card!)

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

ITA...it is great to use your stash and see what you can come up with!
I hardly scrap shop anymore..no great shops nearby and I like to look & see before I buy too!

Love your layout, thanks for playing along!

Deborah Marasa said...

love your layout...the photos are so sweet!

I wish I had a hard time shopping online. lol