Saturday, June 10, 2006

A different day than expected


Today was a day we've been psyched about for literally 2 years. Ever since we first found the trailer for Disney's Cars back in 2004...we knew this would be the coolest thing that could ever happen to a 3-year-old boy...especially ours, who has drooled over anything with wheels since before he started teething. With help from his grandmas, he's been equipped with a Cars poster, a Cars flashlight, 2 Cars books, a Cars T-shirt & shorts set, 3 sets of Cars stickers and 9 Cars cars to play with...all BEFORE the movie was even released. He already knew all the names of the cars, and has been playing on the Cars website for weeks. I even had DH pick up the tickets yesterday to ensure our choice of time and save us the waiting.

And I was going to scrapbook it all. I bought an extra set of stickers for myself. I packed my camera to bring to the theatre. I made sure his new Cars outfit was clean for today. I've been pondering what the layout title should be for weeks...never able to come up with anything that quite accurately captures the excitement my son shows for the whole Cars phenomenon.

So what happens? He wakes up...with a FEVER!!!!!!!

He didn't even have it first thing...it kind of came on after he fell asleep the second time, before he got up for breakfast. All he wanted to do was sleep. Admittedly...my heart was broken! And we'd gone and bought all 6 tickets already, because we were going with friends and all. What to do?

Here's where I bet a lot of moms might shake their fingers at me. We took him anyway. He was sort of up and down throughout the day, as if he himself was torn between being tired and really wanting to see the movie. He had seemed (and said he felt) better by the time we were in the car. Then he threw up all over his Lightning McQueen shirt & shorts. Well, there are a few things we could have done here. But as his parents, we made the choice that was most US. We asked him if he still wanted to see Cars. Yep. So DH went to Walmart and got him a fresh outfit, we changed him, and we went to see Cars. And we all loved it. DS sat through the whole thing, totally absorbed, actually making comments on it! And by the time we left, he felt a good deal better.

I'm always doubting my decisions. But I will say this. I have never been the kind of person to let illness screw up my plans. If I gotta do something, I'm gonna suck it up and just do it, whether or not I feel totally "up to it". Because when given the choice, I ALWAYS regret NOT doing something, but I NEVER regret DOING something. I want my son to grow up the same. And as his mum I can tell ya he would have been seriously upset if we'd missed seeing Cars today, after we've been talking about it all week.

So that was our interesting, slightly different-than-expected day, but the bottom line is the movie ROCKED and WE ALL HAD FUN!!!

No comments: